Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Birth story of Baby Calista's arrival

My edd was on 23/8/12, however babygirl decide overstay. My gyane Dr Ben Neo suggested induced if babygirl still don't want to make her appearence by 28/8/2012. So as expected, she was still lying comfortably in my tummy on 27/8/2012.

Woke up at 6am after 3 hours of sleep (was too nervous the night before), called mcdelivery and had my last unhealthy breakfast at 630am. Big Breakfast and hot cakes. *shakes head*

I was supposed to be admitted at 8am in the morning but the husband only woke up at 740am and he took his own sweet time to wash up, shit and eat. -.- Arrived Mount Elizabeth Hospital at 9am, did the admission thingy and proceeded to the labour ward. Changed into the delivery robe and wore the robe, came out feeling uncomfortable. In my mind I was like "Why the robe so revealing one huh?". I walked towards the sofa in the suite, sat down and told the husband "Bi, got zao kng or not?". He replied "No, looks okay!".

5 minutes later, the nurse came in and went "Aiyo, why you wear opposite way!". Wah, at the very moment I want use the robe to strangle myself. As expected, the husband laughed like 10 mins over it. Fml seriously.

I didn't pass motion for the past 12 hours so I had no choice but to be given some liquid into my anus so I could pass motion within the next 5 minutes. I was very skeptical and worried that it would be painful but it's not lah, so any mummies reading this please don't be afraid. It's not as bad as what we thought. After releasing all the dirty toxin in my intestine, I was asked to lie down the delivery bed.

There are signs of contractions, like every 15 mins? Requested for epidural even though I did not felt any pain. Gynae came at 2pm, checked my contractions and said I didn't have to be induced already. He proceeded with the drips to make my contractions even more consistent and told be I will be in labour for within 6-8 hours. Slept throughout the whole period and woke up at times to request for higher dosage of epidural and have my cervix checked to see how many cm am I dilated. The husband was with me all the time except at times for his meals and smoke breaks.

At 8pm, the nurse came in and did her usual check for cervix. She commented "Very slow but common for first time pregnancies, you are now 5cm dilated.". I went back to sleep thinking it's common since I have read many 24 to 36 hours delivery, so mine should not be as bad. 30 minutes later, another nurse came in and said "Hi Mdm, you are aware that you are going for C-section right? Dr Ben says it's too long and you have to be c-section. The operations starts at 9pm, he's on the way now".At that point of time, the husband was out for his dinner and I was feeling so scared. I wanted to have the natural delivery so bad and was afraid that c-section will cause harm to the baby. Moreover, it also means the husband has to pay additional 2k more. :(

I teared when she went out to do the preparations and in my mind I kept telling babygirl "Babygirl, please come out soon ok? If you don't, mummy has to be operated. Please come out soon. Be a good girl....". The husband came in, I told him about me getting c-sect and cried. We had to make a decision whether to be C-section with epidural (awake) or the "total knock out". After lots of hesitation, we decide to go for the total knock out. Reason being, I heard from friends below that the procedure is zero pain BUT they could feel the doctor tearing their stomach/flesh apart to extract the baby. Too gross!!! I cannot take it.

Dr Ben arrived and checked my cervix before we proceed to the operation theatre. Guess what? I was already 8-9cm dilated!!!! At the point of time, I had my first sign of relief. Omg. I was really happy that babygirl heard me and I only need another cm to start pushing! The husband hold my hand and sayang my forehead. So Dr Ben went off again and promised to be back at 10pm as it will be about time for me to start pushing. His wife was actually Dr. Lily Neo, MP for Tanjong Pagar. She had a meeting on the night so Dr Ben was there to accompany her and sent her back and fro. Mad sweet!

The moment he left, I begin to feel pain. It was a different pain as compared to the ones I felt before. The nurse disallow me to increase the dosage and told me to tolerate for awhile as I had to feel something below otherwise I will not be able to push. Minutes later, the dosage was left with 0ml, the pain was also getting stronger than before. The husband ask me to go ahead with another epidural, I did and max out the unit for the dosage as well. However, it did not help. By 10pm, I already felt like dying. The pain was horrible and I couldn't understand why even after epidural I could still feel pain.

Dr Ben arrived at about 1010pm and yes.. I am ready.

The midwifes started preparing all the equipments and stuffs while me? Vomitting like shit on a kidney tray! It was the side effect of the epidural. Horrible la! The husband was worried and ganchiong too. LOL I pushed him away when he held my hand somemore. Hahaha I was really uncomfortable!!!!! So throughout the pushing procedure he was standing around looking lost. Usually the wife will grab the husband's hand real hard during the pushing ma... BUT I push him away coz I felt irritated by his hand at the point of time. LOL Poor husband!

Den I started pushing after Dr Ben's call, I really couldn't felt anything below man. After 5 pushes, babygirl was out at 1030pm. I felt so relieved after hearing her crying. She was then placed on my chest and I could felt her warmth. The feeling was so magical... I couldn't believe that I gave birth to a life, a baby, a daughter of ours. She was then carried away to be cleaned up. As for me? I was stitched below and I fell asleep. I was way too tired. It's like a total knock out. I did heard Dr Ben kept asking the husband to take photos and also kept asking whether he had taken lots of photos! Lol


Babygirl's first shot! :) In case you wanna why she's purple... babies stayed in the womb for like 9-10months. So once exposed to air, they will turn purple for like a few minutes before returning back to normal. Hahaha. Her birth weight was 2910gm and length at 50cm... Friends commented she was long for a newborn.

After resting for an hour and a half, I was pushed to ward with babygirl lying down beside me. :) She was so warm that I felt she was giving me warmth instead of me giving it to her.

Our baby Calista before breastfeeding on the very night itself. :) Daddy & Mummy loves you.

1 comment:

  1. chanced upon your blog entry! nervous about pregnancy; did the epidural hurt and did you feel the pain from the tear or stitches?

    ReplyDelete